We don’t have exact data on the construction of the synagogue of Eger’s orthodox Jews, but it is thought to have been built between 1889 and 1902, and it underwent considerable modernisation in 1910-1911.
During religious services men and women were separated: the women stayed on the balcony and the men on the ground floor. The synagogue functioned until 1944, then after some rearrangement it was used until the late70s, early 80s. From 1945 to 1950 a higher Jewish school (Yeshiva) was operated here. There was a prayer house in the yard that was used alternately with the synagogue. The homes of the people who serviced the community were also located here. The facility for the ritual slaughter of animals was also situated in the yard, where animals, after World War II mostly geese and chickens, were killed according to the scripture. The synagogue building stood empty and unused until the middle of the 80s. At that time it came into the ownership of the city and it was leased for commercial purposes. In 2007 it was converted into a modern exhibition site, which provided the venue for exhibitions such as selections presenting the art of Mihály Munkácsy, Bertalan Székely, Vasarely and Picasso. From 2013 has been used also to house exhibitions as the site of the István Dobó Castle Museum.